In 2011 I wrote:
I wonder if intelligence requires denial to survive?
With intelligence we are capable of understanding:
- the universe will eventually go dark
- the sun will age and engulf the earth
- we will die
- there is no god
- the only purpose to life is for genes to reproduce
- political beliefs and leaders have no influence on anything important
- technology is just a flattering word for new ways to consume non-renewable resources
- climate change will ruin the lives of our grandchildren and it’s too late to do anything about it
- depletion of non-renewable energy will eliminate 9 out of 10 people within 50 years
- more than 50% of our paper wealth will vaporize in the coming global depression
I know that I would be more motivated if I was ignorant and optimistic.
In 2013 a new book titled Denial by Ajit Varki and Danny Brower was published in which they make the case that human intelligence does in fact require denial.
This book provides a plausible explanation for some of the most perplexing human mysteries.