I’ve lost patience with the widespread whining about Trump.
Trump’s a symptom, not the problem.
Unless we acknowledge and respond to reality there will be many more and worse Trumps to follow.
Lower and middle class citizens around the world are angry for good reasons:
- Their incomes have been stagnant or falling despite governments telling them the economy is strong.
- Their cost of living for things that matter has been rising despite governments telling them inflation is low.
- They see the upper class getting richer and not being punished for crimes.
- They carry a high debt load and see that interest rates have nowhere to go but up.
- For the first time in a long time they worry that the future may be worse than the present.
- They sense that something is broken and that leaders are not speaking the truth.
Their anger has resulted in:
- blame of others
- extreme parties gaining power around the world
- social unrest in many countries
- war drums
The economic stresses experienced by many citizens (and by most countries) are real and have been caused by the depletion of low-cost oil.
The tricks of increasing debt and lowering interest rates have reached their limits and no longer work to mask the depletion of low-cost oil.
Governments have responded with reckless financial policies that guarantee a high-speed crash into a brick wall.
There is no solution to the depletion of low-cost oil. It is not possible to operate our civilization as currently configured without low-cost oil. There is no substitute for oil.
We need to understand and accept that there will be much less of everything in the future.
We were lucky to witness the peak of human prosperity, and unlucky to witness the beginning of its decline.
No one is to blame. It’s reality.
We need a new story to unite us.
We need new government priorities focused on ensuring the necessities of life are available in the future.
We need to slow down as we approach the brick wall.
We need to stop wasting the precious oil that remains.
We need to get real and vote for wise people who understand what is going on.
We need to break through our inherited denial of reality.